Functions of a Fish Finder
What functions can a Fish Finder perform?
A Fish Finder can:
1. Locate fish and determine their depth.
2. Locate ship wrecks, reefs, pinnacles, sunken trees, or virtually anything between the hull of the boat and the bottom, including hazards to navigation and / or debris that might attract schools of fish.
3. Determine seabed contours and composition, i.e. to recognize soft mud, gravel, sand and rock.
4. Determine the depth below the transducer for navigation purposes.
5. Determine the location of areas where the temperature of the water changes dramatically.
6. Determine what species of fish are being shown on the Fish Finder display. (An experienced operator can determine what species of fish are being displayed because of the different shapes and sizes of fish air bladders, a trait that shows up well on high quality Fish Finders. Other factors such as water temp, depth and schooling characteristics will help you determine fish species.)